Node JS Developer Salary Rates Worldwide in 2023
Have a new project in mind and wonder about the average Node.js developer salary? Qubit Labs has an insightful guide for you.
You can find Node.js specialists almost anywhere in the world. So, why hire local programmers and overpay if you can outsource software development to the countries with equally skilled developers yet lower rates?
But Node.js engineers are a bit different from other programmers, and there are some points you need to focus on when hiring. We’ll provide a Node.js developer resume sample to show you what skills and responsibilities play the most critical roles.
Now, let’s get down to business.
What is Node JS Programming Language?
Node.js framework allows you to write server-side code for dynamic web pages and web applications, as well as command-line programs. Node.js suits well for developing RTAs – web applications that respond to user input in real-time. For example, it can be an online editor like Google Docs, which allows several users to work on one document at the same time.
Node.js is designed to solve the basic tasks posed by web development. If you want to work with a database, it’s easy because Node.js can be greatly applied to the most common modern databases. Want to get low-level access to the network HTTP, HTTPS, TCP, UDP? In this case, Node.js offers a well-developed collection of modules. This framework was initially designed for solving problems on the Web and has multiple features oriented at working with it.
Node JS Usage in the Tech Industry
Currently, many tech giants are switching to Node.js. The rapid development of social networks boosted its popularity. This platform is considered the most convenient for building real-time chat apps and email senders that are often used by social media apps.
For example, LinkedIn optimized its mobile app and drastically cut down on server resources when switching to Node.js. Meanwhile, the Trello team highlights that Node.js made the product hold many open connections at once and helped its users have immediate updates.
That’s why the demand for an experienced Node.js developer keeps increasing, and the specialists not only write code but also support the developers working on front-end applications.
Now, let’s review why Node.js is favored among developers and how frequently the companies use it and take a look at Node.js jobs.
Node JS Popularity Compared to Other Technologies
According to Statista, Node.js is preferred by the most considerable number of software developers when compared to other tools. It is chosen by 18.1% of respondents while React Native, for example, and .NET are in the third and fourteenth places correspondingly.
According to Stackoverflow, Node.js is the most commonly used technology compared to other frameworks, libraries, and tools. Around 49.9% of developers prefer it over similar technologies. Also, it’s the most loved development environment, as suggested by 72,1% of software engineers.
So, it’s no wonder that so many companies want to attract a Node.js programmer to their development teams and leverage the benefits of this technology. Such increasing popularity significantly affects Node.js developer salary, which keeps rising every year. You’ll see the differences for yourself below because we compare the average rates in 2020 and 2023.
What Do Node.js Developers Do? A Typical Node JS Developer Resume Example
Usually, a Node.js developer resume sample includes a list of tasks and requirements because these professionals are expected to handle a bunch of various tasks. These specialists are sought-after among companies because they can work with both front-end and back-end tasks.
Node.js developers for hire can build different kinds of applications, such as the following:
- Real-time chat apps
- Streaming apps
- Single-page applications
- Real-time collaboration tools
- Microservices architecture
Since these programmers are in demand, it’s critical to understand what Node.js developer roles and responsibilities one should point out in the job description to attract suitable candidates.
To get things clear, let’s take a look at the Node.js developer responsibilities:
- Providing support for the developers working on front-end applications
- Building customer-facing UI and back-end services for payment processing administration and management
- Writing reusable code and libraries
- Implementing security and data protection
- Writing tests and metrics monitoring modules
- Designing and implementing low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Integrating data storage solutions, like SQL Server, MySQL, or NoSQL Database like Couchbase, D-Graph
As for the Node.js developer skills, these often include the following:
- In-depth knowledge of Node.js
- Familiarity with the whole web stack, including protocols and web server optimization techniques
- Experience with server-side templating languages
- Web application development experience using ReactJS, AngularJS
- Understanding of Agile methodologies
- TDD/BDD experience
- Understanding of cloud infrastructure
- Understanding the interaction of microservices
What Factors Affect Node JS Developer Salary?
JS payscale is affected by many factors, not just experience. For example, a Node.js development company might have customers or projects of different complexity. In this case, Node.js salary relies more on external circumstances than the specialist’s knowledge. You can check our article on software developer salaries by country to know more.
The level of qualification might overlap other factors and be the decisive element affecting a Node.js developer salary. But the money question often depends on the company. For example, a junior developer in a certain organization might receive a higher salary than one’s mid-level colleague from another company.
The following aspect is that a Node.js programmer specializing in utilizing the back-end and the one on the front-end will have different wages. As front-end developers don’t have to deal with such an immense amount of programming, they are paid less. Also, there are full-stack developers who have to obtain the skills required in both fields. They, clearly, make much more money than the two previous categories of employees. The industry also has a significant impact on the payment a JS developer will receive as, say, in fintech, salaries are much higher than in education.
In megapolises, indeed, there are higher demands for experienced specialists; thus, Node.js jobs offer more perspectives in such cities as New York, London, Singapore, rather than in provinces. For example, junior front end developer salary NYC is higher than the wage received by the same employee who comes from Minsk. However, if working remotely, the payment level for a Node developer from a small town might remain the same as for the one who resides in a bigger city. Further, we’ll explore how exactly the location affects average Node.js salaries and where to hire Node.js developers.
Node Developer Salary by Experience Level in 2023
- US is one of the highest-paying countries for Node.js developer as even entry-level developer earns $100,000 annually. More experience programmers can make up to $135,000.
- In Canada, a Node JS developer earns $107,250 on average.
- Junior-level developers in Mexico make around $12,000, while mid-level specialists can make $17,700. Senior developers’ salaries can go up to $23,000.
- In Brazil, the average Node.js developers earn around $16,000.
- In the UK, entry-level programmers can make $83,000, which can go up to $120,000 for more experienced specialists.
- The average Node.js salary in Germany is $57,000.
- In Poland, the enter-level Node JS developer salary is $18,000, and $26,300 for mid-level developers. Senior-level developer makes $33,000.
- In Ukraine, programmers specializing in Node.js technology can make from $12,000 to $25,000 yearly.
- If you are a Node.js developer in Romania, your salary starts from $15,000 and can go up to $30,000.
- The average salary for a Node.js developer in Kazakhstan starts from $11,300 for junior-level specialists and can go up to $24,000 for experienced specialists.
- In South Africa, Node.js developers make from $30,000 to $46,500 yearly.
- Indian Node.js developers can count on $8,000 on average as an annual salary.
- Australia is one of the highest-paying countries for Node.js developers. The average salary there is $136,250 per year.
- In Philippines, Node.js developers make from $5,000 to $9,000 based on experience.
Node.js Developer Salary in Big European Cities (Annual)
Among European cities, the highest Node.js developer salary per annum is in London ($81,178) and Copenhagen ($80,257). The lowest salaries are in Minsk ($42,647) and Kyiv ($40,536).
Almost equal salaries for a JS developer are in Oslo ($72,977), Helsinki ($72,612), Berlin ($70,312), and Madrid ($68,506).
In Warsaw, the Node.js developer salary is also quite high — $68,103 annually. Node.js salaries in Paris ($65,840), Roma ($59,090), and Vienna (53,426) are on a similar level as well.
Below, there are the Node.js developer salaries in Europe in 2020 to compare:
The Node.js developer salary from London and Kyiv differs to a high degree. However, it doesn’t mean that one JS developer is less skilled than another — it is more about economic stability in the countries.
Node JS Salary in US Tech Hubs (Annual)
As you can see, in San Francisco, there is the highest full stack Node js developer salary among US-based programmers, reaching $130,496 per annum.
Washington is the next leader with one of the most attractive salaries for a Node.js developer, offering $126,678.
In LA, a mid-level Node.js programmer earns $125,151 per year. As for the Node.js developer salary NYC, it’s around $119,275 per annum.
Seattle pays the average Node.js developer salary of $118,852. Meanwhile, in Chicago ($113,039), the salaries are lower than in the previous cities.
So, if you want to hire Node.js developers from the US, you’ll spend a fortune but receive high-quality services in return.
According to Talent.com, the average Node.js associate developer salary USA varies from $102,694 to $150,000:
Also, we can take a look at the statistics on Node JS developer salary NYC provided by Salary.com:
ZipRecruiter also provides statistics regarding the average salary of Node JS developer San Diego:
As for Chicago Node.JS developer salary, ZipRecruiter came up with the following numbers:
Therefore, the salaries in our research and those provided by ZipRecruiter are slightly different. This proves the fact that there truly is a handful of factors affecting Node.js programmer salary.
As you can see, the highest salaries among Node developers are in California. That is because Silicon Valley is located right there, offering various positions and having great competitiveness among professionals. Significantly, even a junior web developer salary NYC will be lower compared to the specialist from California.
If you want to hire Node.js developers for your dedicated team from the US, be ready, it will cost you good money, but you will receive high-quality services in return.
Node JS Engineer Salary in Asian Outsourcing Destinations (Annual)
- Node.js developers in Singapore earn around $74,324 per annum
- In Tokyo, the Node js developer average salary is $58,788
- In Hong Kong, a mid-level Node.js programmer earns $47,681
- Jakarta pays around $ per annum to Node.js developers$41,892
- The average Node.js developer salary in India, Delhi is $40,017
As you can see, outsourcing to Asia offers various payment options. If you have a complicated project, consider Singapore as your outsourcing partner.
Meanwhile, if you’re looking for ways to ease the load on in-house developers and transfer some regular tasks, you can choose a less expensive city. For example, Node js developer salary in India is several times lower than in the US.
Below, there are the Node.js developer salaries in Asia in 2020 to compare:
Talent.com has presented the statistics of Node.JS developer salary in India:
According to the mentioned numbers, junior Node JS developer salary is $6,488 per annum, median – $14,500 and senior-level programmers earn $32,544.
Hire Node.js Developers with Qubit Labs
As you can see, Node.js salaries are greatly affected by region because the more prospective projects and potential clients there are, the more competitive the professionals become.
While the average Node.js developer salary in the US is $100,000 to $147,920, equally skilled mid-level specialists in Ukraine earn $36,000–$45,000 per year. Besides, they’re considered among the most sought-after specialists in Eastern Europe and deliver high-quality services.
If you’re interested in outsourcing to Ukraine, Poland, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, Mexico or Brazil and want to know how to hire a Node JS developer in this countries, feel free to reach out to us and schedule a free consultation call.
Read more about developers salaries: