Average Software Developer Salaries: Rates Comparison by Country
- The Highest Paying Countries for Software Engineers in 2022
- The Average Software Engineer Salary Around the World in 2022
- The Average Software Engineer Salary in Europe (Eastern/Western) 2022
- Average Software Engineer Salary by Country
- Mobile Game Developer Rates in the US, Europe and Australia
- Average Software Engineer Salary in the Best Software Engineering Cities
- Software Development Salaries in Ukraine
- About Qubit Labs
Updated – 7.09.2022
With the current boom in the tech industry, more and more people select software development and engineering as a job. What should they expect in terms of payment? And what software development salary by country you can expect?
We made a research on sites like PayScale, Upwork, Indeed, Glassdoor, StackOverflow to gather information about average salary equivalents per country to present it for you in a more user-friendly and understandable look. We studied developers rates and salaries in USA, UK, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Israel, Netherlads, Australia, Portugal and compared them to salaries Ukraine for your convenience.
Let’s consider the average development salaries worldwide to see where such specialists are most valued in monetary terms. This information may give a hint to workers as to where to seek better-paying jobs, while businesses looking to hire tech specialists may understand where to search for talent.
The Highest Paying Countries for Software Engineers in 2022
The IT sector is a booming field that is growing worldwide. As a result, software engineers are in high demand in every country, which is not surprising. Qubit Labs made its research based on salary calculators such as SalaryExpert, Glassdoor, Payscale, etc.
So now, we would like to show countries with the highest software engineer salaries:
- The USA – $114,00
- Switzerland – $95,000
- Australia – $85,000
- Israel – $73,000
- Denmark – $71,000
- Norway – $70,000
- The UK -$69,000
- Sweden – $65,000
- Netherlands -$63,000
- Finland -$59,000
The Average Software Engineer Salary Around the World in 2022
According to SalaryExpert and Payscale, the average software engineer’s salary in the United States is $114,293 or an equivalent hourly rate of $55 while in Eastern Europe the average salary ranges from $22,000 to $30,000 per year, which makes it one of the cheapest regions to hire software developers. As for Western Europe the salaries range quite relatively. It ranges from $33,000 up to $70,000 per year.
Let’s have a closer look at software engineer salary worldwide and how it ranges based on the country:
|Country||Average Annual Salary|
The Average Software Engineer Salary in Europe (Eastern/Western) 2022
According to Payscale salary comparison, the highest paid software engineer country in Europe is Switzerland — $95,000, Denmark — $71,000, and Norway — $70,000 per year. The average software engineer salary per month in these countries is $7,949 for Switzerland, $5,350 — Denmark, $6,012 — Norway.
The average software developer salary by country in Europe is $69,000 for the UK, while in Sweden the salary falls to $65,000 per year. The average computer engineer salary in the Netherlands ,Finland ,Spain and Portugal ranges from $35,000 to $63,000 per year. The average software engineer salary in Eastern Europe like Poland, Romania and Ukraine ranges from $22,000 up to $30,000 per year which is the lowest among other countries.
|Country||Average Annual Salary|
Average Software Engineer Salary by Country
Countries and regions differ in terms of economic well-being, which affects the range of salaries offered to software developers in their markets. Even within one country, we will find fluctuations in salaries employers are ready to pay. You should also remember that developers salary can be shown as annual, monthly, or hourly rate and can be gross or net. This means the payment is shown before or after taxes windthrow.
In some countries, for example, Ukraine, for some historical reason during interviews and recruiting process everyone mention net salaries.
Here is a snapshot of average annual pay by country on major technologies:
Python Developer Rates in the US, Europe, and Australia
|Country||Junior Python Developer||Middle Python Developer||Senior Python Developer|
Python remains a popular, demanded programming language that offers a decent software developer salary to those specializing in it. Python developers receive over $90,000 per year in high-tech countries like the USA, Norway, Switzerland, and Denmark, while in the UK and Israel, salaries exceed $50,000 per year.
Moreover, according to the Stack Overflow analysis, the popularity of Python worldwide is growing, making it the fifth popular programming language in 2018. With such significant improvements, demand for Python developers is expected to rise, and their salaries will rise respectively.
- Senior Python developer salary annual: $61,520 – $130,180
- Average Senior Python developer salary: $109,350
- Middle Python developer salary: $50,130 – $110,000
- Average Middle Python developer salary: $80,065
- Junior Python developer salary: $34,620 – $85,000
- Average Junior Python developer salary: $59,810
Java Developer Rates in the US, Europe and Australia
|Country||Junior Java Developer||Middle Java Developer||Senior Java Developer|
Java software developer salaries are on the rise with this language’s continuously growing popularity. As of 2018, almost 40% of developers use this programming language, and it is the number one choice for back-end development and mobile apps. However, more growth in salaries and use is not expected, since the market is already saturated, and no further growth of extraordinary scale may be projected. The salaries are expected to stay within the indicated range.
- Senior Java developer salary annual: $38,190 – $137,320
- Average Senior Java developer salary: $81,710
- Middle Java developer salary: $25,830 – $105,800
- Average Middle Java developer salary: $65,815
- Junior Java developer salary: $18,190 – $76,800
- Average Junior Java developer salary: $47,495
- Average Senior Java developer salary: $102,060
Ruby Developer Rates in the US, Europe, and Australia
|Country||Junior Ruby Developer||Middle Ruby Developer||Senior Ruby Developer|
The computer programming salaries for Ruby developers range from $20,210 to $104,110 at minimum in the analyzed sample of countries. However, the expected salary increases vary widely across countries. For instance, in the UK, Ruby is gaining popularity, so the software programmer salary is projected to double in the next couple of years. On the other hand, in the US, the average salary of software developer is expected to decrease because of the lower usage of this programming language.
- Senior Ruby developer salary annual: $46,250 – $160,000
- Average Senior Ruby developer salary: $103,125
- Middle Ruby developer salary: $25,280 – $130,130
- Average Middle Ruby developer salary: $77,705
- Junior Ruby developer salary: $20,210 – $104,110
- Average Junior Ruby developer salary: $62,160
C++ Developer Rates in the US, Europe and Australia
|Country||Junior C++ Developer||Middle C++ Developer||Senior C++ Developer|
At present, the average computer engineer salaries for C++ are within the range of $19,920-$70,000 in the selected countries (for junior-level developers). There is no outstanding growth of C++ developer wages to be expected in the coming years, while in some countries (the UK, the USA), they are even expected to fall inconsiderably. However, C++ still remains the sixth popular language of programming, and its popularity is not expected to deteriorate any time soon.
- Senior C++ developer salary annual: $42,690 – $118,880
- Average Senior C++ developer salary: $80,785
- Middle C++ developer salary: $37,270 – $96,810
- Average Middle C++ developer salary: $67,040
- Junior C++ developer salary: $19,920 – $70,000
- Average Junior C++ developer salary: $44,960
C# Developer Rates in the US, Europe and Australia
C# still ranks high among programming languages because it is the language of Microsoft, and tons of mobile and desktop applications are based on it. PYPL recorded an insignificant decline of C# use in 2018, but there is a low risk of C# programmers’ falling demand in the coming years. So, C# software engineer salary by country is projected to increase within the next decade worldwide except for the US.
- Senior C# developer salary annual: $48,620 – $126,260
- Average Senior C# developer salary: $87,440
- Middle C# developer salary: $33,790 – $97,270
- Average Middle C# developer salary: $65,530
- Junior C# developer salary: $11,860 – $72,690
- Average Junior C# developer salary: $42,275
PHP Developer Rates in the US, Europe and Australia
|Country||Junior PHP Developer||Middle PHP Developer||Senior PHP Developer|
PHP is the leading language of web development, which explains its steady popularity and demand for PHP programmer worldwide. Stack Overflow experts noticed the rise of PHP use and popularity in the past couple of years, so the salaries for PHP development are projected to remain the same in the analyzed countries. No reduction of pay rates is expected.
- Senior PHP developer salary annual: $66,695 – $113,470
- Average Senior PHP developer salary: $90,082
- Middle PHP developer salary: $20,270 – $91,860
- Average Middle PHP developer salary: $56,065
- Junior PHP developer salary: $15,410 – $71,240
- Average Junior PHP developer salary: $43,325
.NET Developer Rates in the US, Europe and Australia
|Country||Junior .NET Developer||Middle .NET Developer||Senior .NET Developer|
The situation with .NET is quite complex, with its popularity exceeding that of Java in the UK and the Netherlands but being twice as low in Israel. The number of job postings for .NET programming projects has been on a steady decline since 2014/2015, but the demand for .NET developers is still steadily high. Thus, we should not expect any significant fluctuations in demand and pay rates for .NET jobs in the coming couple of years.
React Developer Rates in the US, Canada and Australia
In 2020 the average annual pay for a React developer in the United States is $108,175 a year.
We see the job with salaries as high as $163,000 and as low as $14,500. The most of React developer salaries currently range between $86,000 to $132,500.
The average pay ranges from about $46,500 which suggests that regardless of location. It means that even if you have a lot of experience there are not many opportunities for increased pay or advancement for a React Developer.
In other countries React developers pay according to Payscale is following:
React developers in Canada earn on average C$70,000 and the payment range is from as low as C$38,000 to C$131,000. Depends on the project, responsibilities and city.
In Australia developers with React.js skills earn on average AU$79,000 and national maximum is AU$150,000.
(The picture below – salaries in 2021)
(The picture below – salaries in 2019)
Unity Developer Rates in the Us, Europe and Australia
Unity is considered to be the world’s most widely-used real-time 3D development platform and was announced to be one of the most in-demand technologies in 2018.
On average, Unity developers in the United States bring home about $80-90K annually, while the rates in Northern Europe are about half of those figures and only Switzerland can compare with the US in numbers.
For highly skilled Unity developers, there is no problem finding good teams, well-paying positions or fun projects. Unity had 80% of the market for Mobile games in general. But games (most commonly) are underpaid today, for their skills.
- Senior Unity developer salary annual: $52,500 – $116,250
- Average Senior Unity developer salary: $78,838
- Middle Unity developer salary: $25,000 – $115,000
- Average Middle Unity developer salary: $70,000
- Junior Unity developer salary: $20,000 – $50,000
- Average Junior Unity developer salary: $46,000
(The picture below – salaries in 2019)
Scala Developer Rates in the Us, Europe and Australia
The demand for experts in Scala is much higher than the supply, that’s why these are among the developers that are the most likely to get invited to a job interview. Scala is a general-purpose, functional, and object-oriented language compatible with Java, another super-popular technology.
So, while Juniors developers make average figures if compared with other technologies, senior profile experts in Scala make a good living for themselves with salaries reaching $189,000 annually in the US, Switzerland and Australia and just under 100K in the Nordics. In the rest of Europe, rates drop, however, to under $50K a year.
(The picture below – salaries in 2021)
- Senior Scala developer salary annual: $167,292 – $189,000
- Average Senior Scala developer salary: $181,088
- Middle Scala developer salary: $69,924 – $139,284
- Average Middle Scala developer salary: $98,084
- Junior Scala developer salary: $40,356 – $63,996
- Average Junior Scala developer salary: $48,496
(The picture below – salaries in 2019)
Salesforce Developer Rates in the Us, Europe and Australia
Salesforce is a cloud-based CRM software — that helps organize customer data, sales, and forecasting all in one place. Instead of an abyss of spreadsheets, you get one neat bit of software. In 2018 Salesforce was also named the No. 1 CRM provider worldwide for the fifth consecutive year by International Data Corporation. Over the years, the technology grew in demand and the demand for experts grew, too.
The range of salaries between Junior and Senior experts in Salesforce is not as drastic though, as it is for Scala, for example. Juniors get upwards of $40,000 a year and Seniors somewhere between 70 and 100K dollars annually depending on the continent (with a couple of outliers, of course). If we’re talking about Spain and other Southwestern European countries, we should divide those figures in half.
- Senior Salesforce developer salary annual: $79,019 – $133,752
- Average Senior Salesforce developer salary: $106,385
- Middle Salesforce developer salary: $85,938 – $116,400
- Average Middle Salesforce developer salary: $101,169
- Junior Salesforce developer salary: $55,044 – $95,896
- Average Junior Salesforce developer salary: $75,470
(The picture below – salaries in 2019)
Mobile Game Developer Rates in the US, Europe and Australia
The mobile gaming industry has witnessed a surge of popularity in recent years. Just like in the 2000s, when the PC industry was thriving and portable computers were becoming a usual and convenient thing, today everything is moving towards mobile. Gaming is not an exception.
Mobile game developers are in high demand but aren’t as common as experts in other technologies because it is quite difficult to develop code for mobile games—let alone cultivate the skills necessary to create a successful game.
Senior Mobile Game developers in Switzerland can make up to $180K a year, and even though this number is definitely an outlier, one can tell that some places becoming a mobile game developer is really worth the effort. Salaries in the US reach 60K and 93K dollars a year for Junior and Senior specialists respectively, and European mobile game developers fall under the “half that” category again.
- Senior Mobile Game developer salary annual: $95,089 – $120,710
- Average Senior Mobile Game developer salary: $107,900
- Middle Mobile Game developer salary: $69,141 – $88,760
- Average Middle Mobile Game developer salary: $78,950
- Junior Mobile Game developer salary: $27,522 – $66,943
- Average Junior Mobile Game developer salary: $47,232
(The picture below – salaries in 2019)
Average Software Engineer Salary in the Best Software Engineering Cities
|New York City||$126,365|
- San Francisco gets the highest position when it comes to salary comparison by city, offering $133,523 per year on average.
- How much do coders make in Melbourne? The average salary in the city is $95,296 per annum.
- The average software developer salary in Austin is $103,789 yearly.
- Amsterdam’s entry-level software developer salary is $40,300, and the average pay is $68,713 annually.
- New York City pays around $126,365 as of the average salary of software developer.
- In Montreal, the average annual software developers salary is $62,797.
- The salary comparison by city can’t be complete without Toronto, where the average pay reaches around $66,157 per year.
- The average salary of software developer in Berlin is $71,103.
- London pays approximately $73,237 to its software developers per annum.
- In Seattle, the average software developer salary reaches $127,569 annually.
- A mid-level software programmer salary in Boston is $112,291.
- The average software developers salary in Singapore is $42,537 yearly.
Average Developer Salary in Ukraine for Comparison
However, this data is very approximate, since web developer salaries differ widely depending on the candidates’ years of experience, tech stack, seniority level, and the language of programming in which they specialize. But even in such rounded terms, it does not stand any comparison with the Ukrainian statistics on monthly salaries of mid-level programmers:
|Angular developer salary||$1500 - 2800|
|C++ developer salary||$2000 - 3000|
|C# developer salary||$2000 - 3500|
|Python developer salary||$1500 - 2500|
|PHP developer salary||$1500 - 2500|
|Node.JS developer salary||$2000 - 3000|
|Ruby on Rails developer salary||$2000 - 3000|
|Java developer salary||$2000 - 2800
|Android developer salary||$1500 - 2300|
|iOS developer salary||$1500 - 2300|
|Wordpress developer salary||$1500 - 2000|
Another comparison also speaks in favor of hiring the Ukrainian talent for tech tasks – see a brief comparison of Ukrainian pay rates for senior specialists with three high-tech countries like the USA, Israel, and the UK below:
|Full Stack developer salary||$135,000||$70,000||$44,000||$48,000|
|Front End developer salary||$111,000||$60,000||$43,000||$41,000|
|Back End developer salary||$129,000||$75,000||$43,000||$48,000|
As it comes from the table, hiring a back-end developer in Ukraine will cost you five times less than the one in the UK, six times less than in Israel and the USA. A front-end developer is three times more affordable in Ukraine than in the USA and Israel, while the British pay only two times more to such specialists. As for the full-stack developer, here you can also save over four times as compared to a U.S. employee, over two times as compared to a British employee, and three times as compared to an Israeli employee. Even for this labor-intensive and responsible work, Ukrainian developers charge $25,000 per year on average, so you may have an absolutely great deal for your project.
Software Development Salaries in Ukraine
A fantastic combination of quality and cost-efficiency in hiring Ukrainian developers is not a myth. Here, you can find experienced specialists for a much lower price than you would pay for developers in Western countries; for instance, a Unity developer salary in this country is 3-4 times lower, and the Ethereum developer salary – even 5-7 times lower than its equivalent abroad.
You lose nothing, as Ukrainian tech specialists will do the same job, and sometimes even a better job, for less money. Make sure yourself:
- The reported Xamarin developer salary in Ukraine is around $32,000 (as compared to over $74,000 in the UK and over $100,000 in the US)
- The VR developer salary in Ukraine is around $30,000, while in the US, you will need to pay over $100,000 to such a specialist
- On average, the video game developer salary in Ukraine reaches $1000-2,000 per month, making it $12,000-24,000 per year. A really cheap solution for your business, as game developer salaries in other countries exceed this rate three to five times!
- The UI developer salary here is $21,000-22,000.
- With the current boom in mobile app development finding a great mobile developer is great luck. In Ukraine, the mobile app developer salary is a bit over $25,000 – you’ll never find a better app developer salary elsewhere.
- The Hadoop developer salary in Ukraine is over $40,000 per year, but that’s a really fantastic deal, given that you will have to pay $120,000-$168,000 to a similar specialist in the USA.
But the matters are not as simple as they look in this list above. Obviously, the developer salary (in Ukraine as well as in any other part of the world) depends on a number of additional criteria. Seniority level and years of experience play a vital role in determining the amount of pay that any particular specialist wishes to receive at any job. Look, for instance, at the breakdown of salaries of Java programmers in Ukraine:
- Entry-level Java developer salary is around $26,700 annually.
- Middle Java developer salary is estimated at $27,600 – $30,600 per annum.
- Senior Java developer normally requires around $33600 – $36,000 per year.
Thus, before looking for a developer in Ukraine, you should analyze the needs of your project and your available budget to make sure that you hire indeed the right specialist with the needed tech stack for successful outcomes. Doing this on your own may be cumbersome and time-consuming.
So, how can the hiring process be made easier and quicker? Here’s the solution – hiring a vendor of IT talent such as Qubit Labs.
About Qubit Labs
Iva Kozlovskaya, Managing Partner at Qubit Labs
Iva: “Recruitment of IT specialists is a very responsible task on which the success of your entire startup or crucial operations of your business depend. The matter is complicated by time difference, language barriers, and the specifics of remote interviewing. If you wish to avoid all that hassle but still get the best fitting developer to your team, Qubit Labs can manage the hiring process for you. We offer a variety of services related to relocation, staff augmentation, body and team leasing, and setting up offshore development centers.”
We asked some of our developers how they fill about working with companies from the USA, Europe and Middle East and what they like about it most.
Eugene, Senior React (8+ years of experience)
Eugene: “Hi, my name is Eugene, and I am a Senior React developer. What I like the most in working in a remote team – is that I work directly with the product owner and CTO from the US startup, have no additional management like in usual outsourcing company, my opinion is important, and I can see the results of my work.”
Eugene, Middle C# ASP.NET (4+ years of experience)
Eugene: “My name is Eugene and I work with a company from Sweden and C#.NET developer. I feel like I am one team with my colleagues abroad, we have regular standups and sprint review meetings, we have video calls. Working with product companies in Europe makes me learn faster and broadens my network. We also visited the head office to join our team’s teambuilding, and it was a great experience.”
Artem, Middle Full-Stack developer (2+ years of experience)
Artem: “My name is Artem, and I am a middle Java full-stack developer, I like working with the startup from New York, because they have an excellent team and have a shaped culture of remote work. There is no difference if you are in New York, or in Kyiv – we are all equal and work on one project. Being a part of the fast-growing startup is great.”
Contact our managers to find out more and get the best Ukrainian experts to bring your project to life!
This article mainly focuses on the salaries of developers from the USA and Western Europe. But if you want to know more about software development rates in Eastern Europe, we’ve got a special report covering Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria. More details?