- What is PHP?
- Web development capabilities
- Products that can be developed with them
- Learning simplicity
- Market demand
So, let’s get down to the topic.
What is PHP?
PHP is a server-side scripting language. It’s mainly used for creating web apps, dynamic websites, and generating HTML. PHP boasts a wide range of functions, allowing developers to use it in almost any sphere of IT.
This programming language is quite simple and easy to learn, which is one of its main benefits and reasons for its popularity.
PHP is interpreted, which means it requires an interpreter (a program that takes PHP code and generates machine code out of it). This means that the programs developed with PHP are cross-platform or, in other words, can work on any operating system.
Examples of websites using PHP: Facebook, Wikipedia, Tumblr, Slack
PHP takes 5th place in SlashData’s ranking, with around 7,3 million active software developers using it. PHP is most widespread in web and backend programming, being least demanded in DS/ML and mobile.
A software-testing firm Tiobe mentioned the slow decline of PHP because now it’s facing severe competition in web programming. Nevertheless, many small and medium companies still rely on PHP because it provides certain opportunities that aren’t present in any other languages.
- Can interact with such databases as Oracle and MySQL
- Its code is more secure and less accessible because PHP is server-based
- PHP is easily deployable because it’s installed on almost all hostings
- Simple syntax
- Full integration with page layout and server-side
- Has a high number of ready-made solutions that facilitate web development
- Websites. As it was created for web pages development, PHP allows building websites with intuitive design. Its functionality was specifically designed for the websites. It offers integration with HTML, compatibility with various databases, and a pleasant user interface.
- E-commerce apps. Many online platforms were created with PHP, including Ubercart, OpenCart, and Magento. Due to using different frameworks, such as Symfony or CodeIgniter, PHP offers broad opportunities for developing e-Commerce apps. These frameworks are open-source, allowing increased functionality, improved scalability and adaptivity, and smooth performance.
- CMS, CRM, ERP, and other corporate tools. PHP enables developing flexible, easily integrable, and convenient management platforms that can introduce several payment methods.
- Databases. PHP supports over 20 databases and can be used to create new databases. This programming language stands out in this area due to the simplicity of generating pages that work with databases.
- Mobile apps. Most apps rely on back-end services. And several PHP frameworks, including Symfony and Laravel, are suitable for mobile app backend development.
- Browser extensions. Since JS code is executed in the browser, this is a perfect choice for creating browser extensions. For example, you can create extensions that help users be more productive, manage multiple social media accounts, or do image editing.
- Desktop. Having combined Node.js and Chromium, GitHub came up with the Electron framework. It enables the development of cross-platform desktop projects.
PHP has a slow, synchronous code execution procedure. Every module or function is processed in the code-specified order. The next query can’t be executed if the previous one isn’t accomplished.
As per ZipRecruiter, the average PHP developer salary in the US is $86,003 per year.
The choice comes down to your preferences and project demands.
Opt for PHP when you need to:
- Develop an e-Commerce website
- Access to data locked in databases
- Transform web pages from static to dynamic
- Create server applications
- Develop web applications (Angular and Vue.js facilitate the development process)
- Create games while having full access to the web (accompanied by additional plugins)
- Build mobile apps (React Native supports the implementation of native features into hybrid apps)
Software development requires time, resources, and money. In this matter, delegating tasks is the key to maximizing business performance.
We’re willing to take up the challenge, so don’t hesitate to get in touch and start your project with us.