Information Technology in Agriculture
IT Changes Everything
Did you notice, how life changed in the past decade and moreover, is still changing in front of our eyes? Everything is becoming computerized and automated. There is barely a part of our lives that does not depend on technology. Information technology has changed our lifestyle and social behavior, it has connected the world. We cannot imagine communication or transportation without it, but how did it change agriculture?
How Can Information Technology Help Agriculture?
Like in any other branch, there are businesses in agriculture, and their basic needs are the same as those of a restaurant or a bookstore. Thus, data collection, monitoring and evaluation, for example, are a vital part of development work. Their results will show where public services are needed the most, and what approaches proved to be the most effective. In rural areas, pen and paper have been traditionally used to collect and assess data in the field, as well as to monitor and evaluate projects. We know what you’re thinking, and you are right. This approach is too time-consuming and susceptible to human error, what if this affects productivity and accuracy? This is why information and communication technologies are now being used widely to perform these tasks in agricultural development projects. And, may we add, with remarkable positive results.
Programs and Devices Used in Agriculture
The possibilities information technology has in agriculture are truly endless! Remote sensing using satellite technologies, agronomy and soil sciences, geographic information systems, just to name a few. All of them are used to increase the agricultural output. However, these technologies are pretty expensive, thus, more suitable for farming on a larger scale.
But there are also some more universal tools that can be put to good use in agriculture. Let’s see:
- Computer-controlled devices or automated systems. For example, automated milking systems that milk the dairy cattle without human labor. This way, farmers can save time for supervisory duties.
- RFID (Radio-frequency identification) allows easier identification and provides to data, such as bearer’s location, name of breeder, origin of livestock, sex, and dates of movement. Also, RFID technology will provide improvements in controlling disease outbreaks in livestock.
- Smartphone mobile apps in agriculture. Several smartphone apps were developed for agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry and farm machinery.
- E-learning. This one is pretty clear: it’s never too late to learn. And with E-learning, farmers will be able to share information and learn within a greater community.
- E-commerce: an easy way for farmers to buy agri-inputs and agri-equipment, as well as sell their products.
- Сomputer-aided manufacturing. A computer that assists in all operations of the farm, including planning and management.
And this is not the complete list! Feeling inspired? How about creating an app that can be used in agriculture? Qubit Labs can help you get started!
Are you going for it?
Nowadays, information technology is one of the most aspired fields in the world. No wonder, since IT has so many connections to other professions and gives so many development opportunities. Integrating IT with agriculture is a sure way for any country to regulate its overall economy and trade. Agriculture software development has already proven to give positive input. Improved decision making, better planning, community involvement, agricultural breakthroughs – all this was possible thanks to IT integration. Get involved in new advanced methods of farming that can change the world! And Qubit Labs are ready to provide progressive development of any of your ideas.